Ephesians 1, "Sovereign Love" and some thoughts

Ephesians 1 (LEB) [from Biblegateway.com]:

1 Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, to the saints who are in Ephesus and faithful in Christ Jesus: 2 Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

3 Blessed is the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, 4 just as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him in love, 5 having predestined us to adoption through Jesus Christ to himself according to the good pleasure of his will, 6 to the praise of the glory of his grace that he bestowed on us in the beloved, 7 in whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace, 8 that he caused to abound to us in all wisdom and insight, 9 making known to us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure that he purposed in him, 10 for the administration of the fullness of times, to bring together all things in Christ, the things in the heavens and the things on the earth, in him 11 in whom also we were chosen, having been predestined according to the purpose of the One who works all things according to the counsel of his will, 12 that we who hoped beforehand in Christ should be for the praise of his glory, 13 in whom also you, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, in whom also when you believed you were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is the down payment of our inheritance, until the redemption of the possession, to the praise of his glory.

15 Because of this I also, hearing of your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all the saints, 16 do not cease giving thanks for you, making mention in my prayers, 17 that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you a spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him 18 (the eyes of your hearts having been enlightened), so that you may know what is the hope of his calling, what are the riches of the glory of his inheritance among the saints, 19 and what is the surpassing greatness of his power toward us who believe, according to the working of his mighty strength 20 which he has worked in Christ, raising him from the dead and seating him at his right hand in the heavenly places, 21 above all rule and authority and power and lordship and every name named, not only in this age but also in the coming one, 22 and he subjected all things under his feet and gave him as head over all things to the church, 23 which is his body, the fullness of the one who fills all things in every way.


"Sovereign Love" by Jesus Wannabeez (https://jesuswannabeez.com/track/sovereign-love-ephesians-1)

[Verse 1]
Before I spoke a word, You were singing over me
You have been so, so good to me
Before I took a breath, You breathed Your life  in me
You have been so, so kind to me
 
[Pre- Chorus]
Every time I sin, every time I fall,
Every time my flesh abhors your law don't know what to do about it, 
Dumb as a sheep who doesn't know about it
All I can do is rest in your Sovereign Grace,
Trusting in the one who chose to call our wicked souls away from all our reckless ways
 
[Chorus]
Oh the overwhelming, never ending, sovereign love of God
Oh, it chases me down, knows where I'm found, leaves the ninety-nine
I couldn't earn it  I don't deserve it but-still Christ came and ransomed me
Oh, the overwhelming, never ending, sovereign love of God
 
[Verse 2]
When I was Your foe, still Your love fought for me
You have been so, so good to me
Unworthy as I am the Worthy One died for me
You have been so, so kind to me
 
[Pre-Chorus]
Every time I sin, every time I fall,
Every time my flesh abhors your law don't know what to do about it, 
Dumb as a sheep who doesn't know about it
All I can do is rest in your Sovereign Grace,
Trusting in the one who chose to call our wicked souls away from all our reckless ways
 
[Chorus]
Oh the overwhelming, never ending, sovereign love of God
Oh, it chases me down, knowsw where I'm found, leaves the ninety-nine
I couldn't earn it  I don't deserve it but-still Christ came and ransomed me
Oh, the overwhelming, never ending, sovereign love of God
 
[Bridge 1]
Praise God the Sovereign One Cuz Were the Reckless Ones
Praise God the Sovereign One Cuz Were the Reckless Ones
Praise God the Sovereign One Cuz Were the Reckless Ones

[Bridge 2]
There's no shadow You can't light up, mountain You can't climb up, How great You are my King
There's no water You can't silence, For storms follow your guidance, How great You are my King
There's no dead You can't raise up, Soul you can't wake up, How great You are my King
You'll finish what You started my God, Your grace is sovereign You love me endlessly x2

[Pre-Chorus]
Every time I sin, every time I fall,
Every time my flesh abhors your law don't know what to do about it, 
Dumb as a sheep who doesn't know about it
All I can do is rest in your Sovereign Grace,
Trusting in the one who chose to call our wicked souls away from all our reckless ways

[Chorus]
Oh the overwhelming, never ending, sovereign love of God
Oh, it chases me down, knowsw where I'm found, leaves the ninety-nine
I couldn't earn it  I don't deserve it  but-still Christ came and ransomed me
Oh, the overwhelming, never ending, sovereign love of God.

Some Thoughts

"Sovereign Love" by Jesus Wannabees may be considered a more Biblically grounded response or a rock/metal parody to Corey Asbury (Bethel Music)'s problematic "Reckless Love". "Reckless Love" is problematic because of the use of the word reckless to describe the love of the Biblical God. The music is very moving and the first time I sang it (I don't listen to Bethel Music) in a church service I joined in singing it but had a concern in my mind about the word "reckless". I felt it was inappropriate, because the word brings to mind the words and phrases: without thought, without plans, careless and often ends in tragedy.

We are going to use "Reckless Love" as an example to answer whether one should listen to Bethel Music or not.

Mike Winger, a Christian YouTuber, has made a video to think Biblically about the lyrics of the song ('Thinking Biblically about "Reckless Love"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79rjZLjh-cI). Winger suggested to use "Selfless" instead of "Reckless". Cory Asbury's response to defend the concerns over his lyrics, as reported by Winger, was even more problematic, and I agree. I suggest to watch Winger's excellent analysis of the lyric.

Check out the lyrics for yourself (See below and in https://bethelmusic.com/chords-and-lyrics/reckless-love/):

"Reckless Love" Written by Cory Asbury, Caleb Culver, and Ran Jackson

[Verse 1]
Before I spoke a word, You were singing over me
You have been so, so good to me
Before I took a breath, You breathed Your life in me
You have been so, so kind to me

[Chorus]
Oh, the overwhelming, never-ending, reckless love of God
Oh, it chases me down, fights ‘til I’m found, leaves the ninety-nine
I couldn’t earn it, I don’t deserve it, still You give Yourself away
Oh, the overwhelming, never-ending, reckless love of God

[Verse 2]
When I was Your foe, still Your love fought for me
You have been so, so good to me
When I felt no worth, You paid it all for me
You have been so, so kind to me

[Bridge]
There’s no shadow You won’t light up
Mountain You won’t climb up
Coming after me
There’s no wall You won’t kick down
Lie You won’t tear down
Coming after me

Why?

Why am I bringing up this thing again? It's 7th of February, 2022 and that song is old news. Why? Because this morning a sister asked me whether it was okay to listen to Bethel Music. Why? Because "Reckless Love" will always come to mind when we have a conversation about Bethel Music. Among other things.[1][2] I suggested that she should not listen to them. I also suggested that she look for alternatives to them. And I also suggested that if she do listen to them (because of human rights to choose) then to do so by comparing the lyrics to sound Bible teachings (2 Timothy 4:3-4) no matter how moving the music may be. Why? Because this question will come up again in the future.

Words have meanings

Let's look at the word "reckless" from several online dictionaries:

Lexico powered by Oxford (UK dictionary): adjective; Heedless of danger or the consequences of one's actions; rash or impetuous

Lexico powered by Oxford (US dictionary): adjective; (of a person or their actions) without thinking or caring about the consequences of an action

Cambridge Dictionary (English): adjective; doing something dangerous and not worrying about the risks and the possible results

Cambridge Dictionary (Learner's Dictionary): adjective; doing something dangerous and not caring about what might happen

Cambridge Dictionary (Essential British English): adjective; doing something dangerous and not caring about what might happen

Cambridge Dictionary (Essential American English): adjective; doing something dangerous and not caring about what might happen

Macmillan Dictionary: adjective; not thinking about the possible bad effects of your actions

Merriam-Webster: adjective; 1: marked by lack of proper caution : careless of consequences; 2: irresponsible

Wow, there're many synonyms for "reckless" (from Lexico):
rash, careless, thoughtless, incautious, heedless, unheeding, inattentive, hasty, overhasty, precipitate, precipitous, impetuous, impulsive, daredevil, devil-may-care, hot-headed
irresponsible, wild, foolhardy, headlong, over-adventurous, over-venturesome, audacious, death-or-glory
ill-advised, injudicious, misguided, hare-brained, madcap, imprudent, unwise, ill-considered, unconsidered, ill-conceived, unthinking, indiscreet, mindless, negligent

I know that many poets and song writers use words creatively. And from the other words of "Reckless Love" one can make out that the writer(s) of the song used words in such a way. They create mental pictures in our mind that are beautiful, poetical and moving indeed.

But the song is supposed to be a praise/worship song. The very idea should evoke awe and amazement; oh that mere humans are granted to write songs for the Most High! And therefore, the writer(s) could have described God's love using a different word. Of course, Asbury and the other writers would probably continue to keep it the way it is; unless I am unaware of any change.

Using the word "reckless" to describe the infinite love of God is actually taking it (i.e. God's love) and humanizing it. We do know of human parents who "love" their children but are clueless on how to care for them or how to prepare them for the future. God is not like that. He clearly did care for us. He actually know exactly how to care for us. He gives us exactly what is needed. He will indeed give us what is just and true in the future. And actually, we are the reckless ones if we ever think of God and his love lesser than what they genuinely are.

Legalistic and Religious spirit

Cory Asbury's response to the concerns over the use of the word "reckless" in his song is found on a Facebook post that I cannot access, may be because I don't have a Facebook account. We will make do with the answer that was given in an interview posted on relevantmagazine.com on 7th June, 2018 (see https://relevantmagazine.com/faith/cory-asbury-reckless-love-the-sunday-staple-sweeping-the-nation-exerts-honesty-and-power/):

Some people had questions about the intentions of a word like “reckless” because it is such a unique but powerful way to describe the love of God. Do you think church, in a way, has gotten too legalistic in the way we’re allowed to talk about God?

I think sometimes we get stuck with an understanding or a concept and we can’t see outside of that box. And I think that’s what happens with the word reckless. We know the word has negative connotations, so we cannot see outside of that box. And the truth is that people have used words like that for years. It’s not uncommon to use a negative word—Jeremy Riddle used the word “furious” to describe God, and I think that’s a beautiful adjective to describe God. John Mark described Heaven meeting Earth like a sloppy wet kiss. And I think to censor that does take out the heart and passion behind that. But I don’t want to label the Church as this or that. Sometimes religious spirit is scared to say things to God because they’re scared He’s going to smite us. 

But God already knows what we’re thinking before we even say it out loud. God wants us to be honest with Him, just like David was in the Psalms. God’s not offended by it. He’s just waiting for you to be honest so He can actually meet you in that place.
If thinking, saying, and writing accurately about God and his most important characteristics makes us legalistic, then let it be so. If we take pains to describe God authentically makes usa legalistic person, then keep us in that number. If we raise a question on a problematic word that's used in a praise song makes us legalistic, then keep us in that group.

Religious spirit! What does that phrase even mean? If caring more about what the Holy Spirit actually said in the Bible about the Gospel, God and Jesus makes us have a religious spirit, then so!

All this is just praise-song-writer(s) playing irresponsibly with words, who give more thought to the parts that relates to humans, like "fights till I'm found". But no thought over meanings and consequences to parts that relate to God. It makes me think that they have no fear of God. It's portraying Almighty God like a thoughtless human lover, which is not love at all: his love is reckless but he fights for me.

Consequences?

What if, some people who are not actually from Bethel Church and Bethel Music? What if these people live in Asia or Africa or South America? What if, they are similar to Bethel in theology, or have taken courses with them or are promoting them? And of course, they do sing the song. It is their opinion and right to do so! What if they use "Reckless Love" to interpret the Bible? What if they begin to see God's great love through this morphed lens? What if from among them some decide to live and love recklessly? To follow God's example, if you will. They might even lie and manipulate to gain influence over others. But what if they are prosecuted by the law of the land for doing so? Some of them will say that this is persecution because others are jealous of them. Some of them will think that they are bringing glory to God; but, in fact, they are bringing reproach to the God of the Bible and are taking the focus away from the true Gospel of Jesus Christ.

I will not suggest anyone to listen to Bethel because of the strange thinking and explanations behind some of their songs. We've not even touched on the even stranger theology, teachings, sermons and behaviour of theirs that is behind the song writers.

---

Others have given their critique, comment and defence of "Reckless Love". John Piper (https://www.desiringgod.org/interviews/should-we-sing-of-gods-reckless-love), CBN has filed an article under Entertainment(?) (https://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/entertainment/2018/may/is-gods-love-reckless-experts-disagree-over-popular-worship-song).

---

As for me I will give it a rest for now and when the question come up again, I will still give the same answers.

---

Ephesians 1:4 "just as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him in love" (LEB)

When God chose believers to believer in him, he did so before the world began because his love is not reckless. Verse 4 of Ephesian 1 suggests plans, choice, thoughtfulness, foresight, security, etc.

Jesus is the Good Shepherd because he knows where all the 100 sheep are. When one strays or is lost he is not reckless when he leaves the 99 to bring back the one. His love is so big that it sustains the 99 as he goes out to bring back the one. The 99 were not left without a plan. The one who was lost was found because of his awesome and sovereign love.

Notes:
[1] "Former Bethel leader speaks out on church's beliefs, grave sucking and gold dust," https://www.christianpost.com/news/former-bethel-leader-speaks-out-on-churchs-beliefs-gold-dust.html
[2] "The tragedy of Bethel's #WakeUpOlive: Why it isn't always God's will to heal," https://www.premierchristianity.com/home/the-tragedy-of-bethels-wakeupolive-why-it-isnt-always-gods-will-to-heal/1523.article

Comments