God has Spoken: Part 1 - Trust Him

Trust


Hebrews 1: 1-4 "God, after He spoke long ago to the fathers in the prophets in many portions and in many ways, 2 in these last days has spoken to us in His Son, whom He appointed heir of all things, through whom He also made the world. 3 And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power. When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, 4 having become so much better than the angels, to the extent that He has inherited a more excellent name than they." NASB

From the very first chapter of Hebrews the reader is informed that God has spoken with finality to the Hebrews and the rest of humanity through His Son (Hebrews 1:1-2). The finality of this revelation is affirmed throughout the book of Hebrews and the rest of the New Testament. The theme of Hebrews is Jesus is better. He is superior to angels, He is better than Moses, His sacrifice was a better sacrifice, He is superior to the high priests of old, and His covenant is better with better promises. 

What does this mean? 

How does trust tie-up with the fact that God has spoken through His Son? Could it mean that what has spoken is trustworthy? Could it also mean that what God has done through His Son is trustworthy? I am not a trustworthy person, I forget what I have spoken, I misspeak at times, I am human and imperfect. What I say cannot be considered as an authority in any matter. How arrogant of me if I think that is the case? But God, whenever he speaks, He is trustworthy. 

I am currently going through some mental anguish and financial turmoil. Words have been spoken. Emotions have flared. I am ashamed of myself. I am ashamed of my sin. Very few understand. I am grateful to them. Yet, I feel alone. I am alone. Can I trust God that no matter what happens after today? Do I know that God is with me? What happens if I fall deeper into debt? How do I get out? Do I start a business? But I have no capital. Every bit of my income goes away like candle wax, you can see it but it has been used to address the valid demands of my creditors.

You may be going through some other difficulty that I cannot fathom. You may be shaking, You may be crying. You may be tempted to give up. Let's not give up.

My own turmoil is a thousand times insignificant to what happened to the Hebrews as reported in Hebrews 10:34 "For you had compassion on those in prison, and you joyfully accepted the plundering of your property, since you knew that you yourselves had a better possession and an abiding one." ESV The author was reminding and exhorting them to stay faithful to Jesus no matter what happens. Their own past testifies and encourages them. I cannot imagine any of my creditors plundering my property. They are kind people. The Hebrew believers went ahead and had compassion on those who were in prison, risking so much; they knew that what was lost or taken from them was not better. They remained faithful. They were reminded to be faithful to the One who is superior and better than what they were going through.

What God has spoken is better? What God gives is better? He has not said that all my debts will be paid off by next Tuesday. But God has promised to be with me as I struggle through this difficult time. May I help others out of debt and not be selfish. May God have mercy on me. May God have mercy on us. May someone be helped through me. May God be blessed. Amen.

Comments